ASM INTERNATIONAL N.V. REPORT SECOND QUARTER 2011 OPERATING RESULTS
ALMERE, The Netherlands - July 27, 2011 - ASM International N.V. (NASDAQ: ASMI and Euronext Amsterdam: ASM) reports today its second quarter 2011 operating results in accordance with US GAAP.
· Net sales for the second quarter 2011 were EUR 474 million, up 10% quarter-to-quarter and up 57% year on year. Excluding the acquired SEAS business, net sales increased by 9% quarter-to -quarter. Net sales of our Front-end segment were up 5% quarter-to-quarter while comparable Back-end sales increased by 11%.
· Result from operations increased from EUR 94 million in Q1 2011 to EUR 104 million in Q2 2011. The second quarter of 2010 showed a profit of EUR 80 million;
° The Front-end segment increased its operating profit from EUR 18.7 million to EUR 20.8 million quarter-to-quarter. Q2 2010 showed an operating profit of EUR 3.6 million (including EUR 3.3 million restructuring charges);
° The Back-end segment operating profit increased from EUR 75.0 million to EUR 83.2 million quarter-to-quarter. The second quarter of 2010 showed an operating profit of EUR 76.6 million.
· Second quarter 2011 net earnings were EUR 50 million compared to net earnings of EUR 40 million for the first quarter of 2011 and EUR 48 million for the second quarter of 2010. Net earnings of both previous quarter and the second quarter last year included effects of the revaluation of the conversion option. Excluding this revaluation net earnings were EUR 45 million for the previous quarter and EUR 34 million for the second quarter of 2010.
Commenting on the results, Chuck del Prado, President and Chief Executive Officer of ASM International, said, "The second quarter sales came in at a record level. As well in the Front-end as in the Back-end we recorded an all-time high sales level, leading to an EPS of EUR 0.84. The quarter showed again a strong performance of the newly acquired AS business".
The current market uncertainty leads to a situation whereby our customers are taking more time to assess their overall capacity plans. This has led in Q2 as compared to Q1 to a lower order intake for our Back-end and Front-end operations. We do not expect that this situation will improve in the 3rd quarter. Taking our current backlog into account, we expect that this will lead to a sales decrease in Q3, both for our Back-end and Front-end operations.
About ASM International
ASM International N.V., headquartered in Almere, the Netherlands, and its subsidiaries design and manufacture equipment and materials used to produce semiconductor devices. ASM International and its subsidiaries provide production solutions for wafer processing (Front-end segment) as well as assembly and packaging (Back-end segment) through facilities in the United States, Europe, Japan and Asia. ASM International's common stock trades on NASDAQ (symbol ASMI) and the Euronext Amsterdam Stock Exchange (symbol ASM). For more information, visit ASMI's website at www.asm.com.
Safe Harbor Statement under the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995: All matters discussed in this statement, except for any historical data, are forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements. These include, but are not limited to, economic conditions and trends in the semiconductor industry generally and the timing of the industry cycles specifically, currency fluctuations, corporate transactions, financing and liquidity matters, the success of restructurings, the timing of significant orders, market acceptance of new products, competitive factors, litigation involving intellectual property, shareholder and other issues, commercial and economic disruption due to natural disasters, terrorist activity, armed conflict or political instability, epidemics and other risks indicated in the Company's filings from time to time with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, including, but not limited to, the Company's reports on Form 20-F and Form 6-K. The Company assumes no obligation nor intends to update or revise any forward-looking statements to reflect future developments or circumstances.
ASM International will host an investor conference call and web cast on Thursday, July 28, 2011 at 15:00 Continental European Time (9:00 a.m. - US Eastern Time, 9:00 p.m. Hong Kong Time). The teleconference dial-in numbers are as follows:
- United States: +1 718 223 2330
- International: + 44 (0)20 7138 0813
- Access code: 8345171
A simultaneous audio web cast will be accessible at www.asm.com.
The teleconference will be available for replay, beginning one hour after completion of the live broadcast, through August 27, 2011.
The replay dial-in numbers are:
ASMI Q2 2011 Operating Results
- United States: +1 347 366 9565
- International: + 44 (0)20 7111 1244
- Access Code: 8345171#