ASM INTERNATIONAL REPORTS FOURTH QUARTER 2009 AND FULL YEAR 2009 OPERATING RESULTS
ASM INTERNATIONAL REPORTS
FOURTH QUARTER 2009 AND FULL YEAR 2009 OPERATING RESULTS
ALMERE, THE NETHERLANDS, February 24, 2010 - ASM International N.V. (NASDAQ: ASMI and Euronext Amsterdam: ASM) reports today its fourth quarter 2009 and full year 2009 operating results in accordance with US GAAP.
· 2009 fourth quarter net sales were EUR 201.9 million, up 12% from the third quarter of 2009 and up 34% from the fourth quarter of 2008. Compared to the third quarter of 2009, Front-end sales were up 30%, Back-end sales were up 7%;
· Restructuring expenses of EUR 6.9 million were incurred and a reassessment of the inventory impairment charge that was recognized in the second and third quarter resulted in a benefit of EUR 2.3 million in the fourth quarter of 2009;
· Net loss (allocated to the shareholders of the parent) for the quarter 2009 was EUR 11.7 million, or EUR 0.23 diluted net loss per share, as compared to net loss of EUR 15.8 million, or EUR 0.31 diluted net loss per share for the third quarter of 2009 and net loss of EUR 6.2 million or EUR 0.12 diluted net earnings per share for the fourth quarter of 2008;
· 2009 fourth quarter bookings were EUR 252.1 million, up 23% from the third quarter of 2009. Bookings in our Front-end segment were up 32% and bookings in our Back-end segment were up 21%.
· We successfully finalized the refinancing of the Company by the placement of EUR 150 million 6.5% senior unsecured convertible bonds, due 2014 and obtained a new standby revolving credit facility of EUR 65 million, In January 2010 the standby facility was increased to EUR 90 million.
· 2009 net sales were EUR 590.7 million, down 21% compared to 2008. Sales from our Front-end segment were down 46% and sales from our Back-end segment were down 4%;
· Restructuring expenses of EUR 35.7 million were incurred and an inventory impairment charge of EUR 24.2 million was recognized;
· Net loss, allocated to the shareholders of the parent, was EUR 106.6 million, or EUR 2.06 diluted net loss per share, as compared to net earnings EUR 18.4 million for 2008, or EUR 0.35 diluted net earnings per share;
· Bookings at EUR 696.8 million, up 9% compared to 2008. Year-end backlog was EUR 196.7 million, up 117% from the end of the previous year;
· Cash flow from operations amounted to EUR 62.7million. Front-end cash flow was negative EUR 23.7 million, Back-end positive EUR 86.4 million.
+31 88 100 8500
Mary Jo Dieckhaus
+31 625 018 51220100224 PR Q4 2009