Pulsar® XP ALD
ASM’s Pulsar uses ALD to deposit the high-k dielectric materials required for advanced CMOS transistor gates and other applications. Pulsar is the benchmark ALD high-k tool for the industry. It was the first ALD system to be used for high-volume production at advanced customers for high-k metal gate transistors.
PULSAR® AXIS® Reactor
Our most advanced Pulsar reactor is the AXIS. Pulsar AXIS includes a series of reactor improvements resulting in improved film uniformity, defect performance and wafer-to-wafer repeatability. Additionally the AXIS reactor package enables increased reactor lifetime between clean cycles and improved maintainability in volume production.
ALD works by exposing the heated wafer to controlled pulses of process gases. These pulses are each followed by purging. Pulses and purge steps continue in sequence. One complete sequence, called an ALD cycle, forms an atomic layer of the desired material. Multiple layers are formed up to the desired thickness by repeating this cycle.
The Pulsar reactor chamber and source delivery system are optimized for precise gas-flow dynamics and minimum purge times that provide advanced process control, film purity and uniformity. Pulsar is designed for gas delivery of solid source precursor materials which have demonstrably better film property performance than liquid precursors.
Up to four Pulsar modules can be configured to the XP cluster platform, a member of ASM’s 300mm XP common platform series. Pulsar can also be configured to the Polygon 8300 platform for 300mm wafers, and the Polygon 8200 platform for 200mm and smaller wafers.
PULSAR® XP ALD BENEFITS
- Pulsar XP ALD is a low-volume, isothermal reactor optimized for ALD;
- Cross-flow reactor design with precise laminar gas flow to optimize the ALD pulse delivery which results in excellent film properties, uniformity, purity and throughput;
- Unique solid source delivery system which precisely controls the conversion of solid materials into gases for delivery into the reactor;
- Inert gas valve design that assures process control of ALD pulse / purge cycling, enabling minimum cycle time and maximum throughput.
- High-k gate dielectrics (hafnium oxide, hafnium silicate);
- High-k capping layers for metal gate work function tuning;
- High-speed aluminum oxide;
- Conformal passivation layers;
- High-k for microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) applications.